Sunday, September 5, 2010

Staring outside my window...

I find myself doing this a lot. I love it. My mind just starts to wander and wonder to so many different things. Mostly home, and the afore-mentioned boy. Or guy rather. Not a boy, yet not quite a man just yet. That'll be interesting when that happens. Anyways! But that's not all I think about. I think about Philadelphia a lot too. After all, I am staring right at it. I wonder how much more there is that I don't know about yet, and how I'm going to discover it, despite the fact I'm broke and have a great lack of transportation. I'm getting used to having to walk everywhere though. Though my recent double trip to Radioshack was NOT joyous. But what I figure is with my THREE BALANCED MEALS A DAY (despite what my mother thinks, I am not snacking on all my meal food. I'm actually not snacking much at all. So there...) and walking all the time, I will get the freshman 15. Hopefully losing 15 pounds instead of gaining it. Well, at least 5, I hope!

Which reminds me! Classes! Haha, well I've only had two days so far, but I can safely say that I am in love with this school. On the first day, I only had two classes, Acting Studio and Music Skills. In acting studio, we'll mostly focus on the whole, discovering ourselves part of acting rather than memorizing monologues. I mean, we're gonna do that too, eventually. But that's the class I'm looking forward to the most. Our professor is so cool, and apparently he's a really great guy. Johnny Hobbs. I already like the class, partially cause I don't have to buy any books for it. (More on that later...) But, after having talked to my senior mentor, apparently your acting studio class becomes your company, because it's the class where everyone really gets to know one another. And that's why I can't wait to get started. Can you imagine? Becoming an ensemble with people? Something I think a lot of people here need to learn. Not necessarily people in my class. Just people in general. I don't think that gets taught enough by acting teachers. I was lucky. 

Anyways music skills is basically learning how to read music. Something I really need to do :) It's funny. I feel so focused here. Like, for example, for the music skills lab (which is essentially how to play basic piano, not actually playing it, but how to plunk it out for ourselves), we are expected to practice everyday. And yesterday I did. And I'm going today after Mass. Look at that. I'm doing what needs to be done. Surprising. I know. 

There's also "Voice for Musical Theatre" Umm, not really. It's the Alexander Method class. But it does help us with our voice. Actually that class is more like magic. Ariel, our teacher, omigosh. All she did was position our heads by guiding us with her hands, and my entire body became so relaxed. It was amazing! She told us that it's not necessarily about understanding it right away, or at all, as long as we're trying to understand. Ugh, it's so cool!

The other class I've had, Survey of Theatre Arts, is essentially a theatre history class. Which to some people sounds really boring. But I couldn't believe that I'm actually going to be able to learn all of this, without having to try to focus on other things that aren't necessarily important to me. Like science, or foreign languages. I know that sounds really bad, and it's not like other subjects don't interest me or that I think they're unimportant. They are extremely important. We would have no world or technology with out them. But in all honesty, I'm not very good at those things. And I don't enjoy doing them. So why should I? Why shouldn't I focus on what I love to do and love to learn? I should, simple as that. I've never had this happen to me during school, but I got chills ALL DAY (literally), just thinking to myself how lucky I am to be here. To be able to FINALLY be learning and studying all of the things I've really wanted to do. Before I left home, someone old me that I'm gonna be great here, and that I deserve it. And honestly, no one's really ever up front said that to me. And before I wouldn't have believed them. But, and I mean this in the most humble way possible way, they were right. I do deserve this. I actually did work really hard to get here, and went through a lot of shit during that time too. Now I know I'm gonna go through a lot of shit here too. I'll probably break down at some point. I'll probably think I'm not talented, or beautiful, or loved. And you'll probably hear about it, I really am gonna try to keep up with this as much as possible. But the thing is, I know I'll come back stronger, and a better, hopefully both as a person and an actress. It's not gonna be easy. I'm actually aware of that. But I just say, bring it on, I can take it. After all, that's part of becoming an adult isn't it?


No comments:

Post a Comment